Thursday, January 29, 2009

Museum Visit


For my museum visit assignment I chose to go to the Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University. It was definitely interesting experience. The museum itself is located in very nice setting. The museum collection is divided into many different categories based on the geographical location and also on period when the art was created. At the time when I visited the museum, at the class we were covering the prehistoric period. So I focused my attention there on the oldest items in their collection. The oldest items there were from Asian continent.


For example, this particular item is almost 1800 years old. It is model of Three Story Pavilion from China’s Han dynasty. It is amazing how it survived all that time without being broken in some war.

The museum also has a section dedicated to the Stanford family, who founded Stanford university. It was interesting to see pictures of them that showed life in the 19th century Palo Alto. Then there was area dedicated to modern art. There were many pictures and statues that caught my attention there because of how different they were.



And this is one of my favorite pictures at the Cantor museum. Looking at it I almost want to go camping.

The museum visit was deffinately worth the effort to go there.






No comments:

Post a Comment